Sunday, January 1, 2012

Little bit about me

As with all good stories, you need a little background.

Growing up, I was raised by a potato farmer father, and a Registered nurse mother. My mother worked part time at a "Family Emergency Center" (this would be equivalent to a community care, urgent care, or insta care) for many for my childhood years. From my mothers example, I learned at a very young age that I wanted to be a nurse just like my mom.

Once I got to College, I was steps above other Freshmen there simply because I knew my major. It wasn't changing. I was certain. That was more than most students can say. I took some generals at BYU-Idaho, and applied to their nursing program as soon as I knew I had all the prereq's to apply. When I applied I had a 3.75 overall G.P.A. I wasn't even considered. At that point, I realized that I didn't want to just sit and wait at BYU-Idaho to have a place for me. I then transferred to a community college in Idaho Falls. There I finished all the general requirements to apply to several nursing schools in the western united states.

I applied to several schools, and was rejected by all of them. I was so confused as to why I was unable to get into school. I had good grades. I jumped through all the hoopes. I did everything I was supposed to. Still, I waited 4 years after graduating high school to finally be accepted into the nursing program at College of Southern Idaho.

It is very clear to me now as to why I couldn't get into school when I wanted. My father had been ill for many years with multiple illness's. The summer of 2011 my father spent 82 days in the intensive care unit. I spent as much of my time with him, and my family as I could. It was a long difficult road, but we had to do it. On October 2nd, 2011, by father passed away. This was extremely difficult for my whole family. It is very evident to me that there is no way I could have been in nursing school while trying to handle the illness and the death of my young father. I was meant to go to school in 2012.

So there you have it. My life is crazy and confusing...and it's about it get a lot crazier! 

1 comment:

  1. Marissa, I found your blog today! and I love it! simply because I can relate. I started the nursing program here at BYU-I two weeks ago. It's been a crazy couple of weeks but it's exciting and fun. It has been my lifelong dream to be a nurse too! I can't wait to follow your blog and read the experiences you have! I'm sure it was difficult waiting to get into a program, but I'm sure that NOW is the time that you were meant to start nursing school. Our Heavenly Father needed you in other places before now. I'm sorry for the trials and difficulties your family has had to go through. I'm proud of you Marissa and look up to you. Thanks for your example. I hope school goes well for you and that your first day is great! You're going to be one amazing nurse!

    Love,
    Michelle Mickelsen

    ReplyDelete